You can now buy the new 2021 Mercedes-Benz navigation update. Simply click the link underneath this paragraph, and it will take you through to the latest offers and lowest prices on new and official GPS map upgrades. Whether you want to get a new Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD disc, a free download, or USB stick version, you can see all of the upgrade options available.
Is the Mercedes-Benz navigation update worth it?
For me, it’s a steal. I drive a lot of miles each year and remember occasions in the past where I would be using my navigation only to find that the destination wasn’t in the database, or I was driving on roads that had been built and weren’t even plotted on my maps – confusing? Yes, very!
Whether you drive professionally or for leisure, having out of date Mercedes-Benz maps will mean you drive more miles, use more fuel, and end up with a whole heap of frustration – it’s time and money you shouldn’t have to waste.
Below you can see my thoughts on why you should update your Mercedes-Benz navigation system with the latest GPS map updates from disc, free download, or USB.
- Drive the most fuel-efficient routes, saving money on gas with up to date directions.
- Be able to locate millions of points of interest including gas stations, shopping, medical services, parking, restaurants, and accommodation.
- Get to your destination on time with improved routing and time planning.
- Reduce your carbon footprint as you drive less miles with up to date directions.
- Avoid traffic jams with clever navigation taking you a better route.
- Have the peace of mind you won’t end up getting lost and stuck in places you don’t want to be.
What’s new with the latest navigation release?
When you buy or download a new official Mercedes-Benz navigation system update it will come packaged with GPS map updates on the software database which include:
- 5 million more miles of roads and highways.
- 676,483 new street and road names added or updated.
- 307,684 new speed limits and restrictions updated.
- Millions of addresses updated including points of interest files.
The new maps will either arrive as a DVD disc, an SD card, or USB stick depending on how your Mercedes’ system is set-up. Other can even take advantage of a Mercedes-Benz navigation free download dependent on how long ago they purchased their vehicle.
Models and years available
Built-in navigation has been available in Mercedes-Benz cars for years, with all models ether now coming with GPS in the dashboard, or letting you choose it as part of the package when buying from new.
- AMG GT
- Mercedes Maybach
You can map updates for all the Mercedes-Benz models listed above, with years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 available.
The Mercedes-Benz DVDs you can get include the COMAND versions and all previous colors including browns, greens, oranges, purples, and reds for 2021.
Mercedes-Benz navigation promotion codes
Every now and again you can find coupon and discount codes to apply against the cost of buying new maps. Mercedes-Benz promotion codes don’t get released publicly that frequently, but when they do you might find them on the official website.
To check for current promotion codes and discounts, please visit the official website.
When you find a valid promo code, copy it down and then type or paste it into the box you find when completing your online purchase. The box is called “promotional code” and if the discount works will apply a percentage drop on the advertised price.
How to update a Mercedes-Benz navigation system
In many cases it won’t be possible to get a Mercedes Benz Navigation free download. These tend to be only available to customers who are eligible for free annual updates. I will explain more about free updates a little later on and how you might be able to download a free copy.
First though, here’s how to update a Mercedes-Benz navigation system if you have a DVD disc drive version.
- Visit the Mercedes-Benz navigation store to check for the latest deals.
- Select your Mercedes model from the page.
- Choose the year your vehicle was manufactured.
- Check for stock availability and click the add to cart button.
- Complete the checkout process and wait for your new disc to arrive.
- Turn your vehicle’s engine on.
- Eject your old Mercedes-Benz navigation disc and insert the new DVD.
- Follow the on-screen prompts, entering in your unique code when prompted.
- Allow for up to 25 minutes for the new maps to install.
- Don’t switch your ignition and navigation system off until the success screen.
How to install Mercedes-Benz navigation SD card?
If you have the Mercedes-Benz SD card navigation update instead of the DVD, then the install process is pretty similar; as follows:
- Make sure the SD card is not locked by checking for a tiny lock switch on the left hand side of the card. You cannot put it into the drive if locked, so move it to the open position.
- Insert the SD Card into reader slot, until it clicks into place.
- Then simply follow the instructions that you see on the display.
How to update a Mercedes-Benz navigation system for free
The best things in life are free, right?
OK, so that’s not always the case, and that’s particularly relevant when it comes to navigation updates and the discs.
But it all depends.
The Mercedes-Benz navigation free download program
For example, some Mercedes-Benz owners will be in an update program. That means they can take advantage of a Mercedes Benz Navigation free download as and when the new maps are released.
Not everyone will be in this program though, and with older models will need to update with a DVD disc or SD card rather than a download.
And you need to pay for that privilege most of the time.
But what if you really do want to try and update your Mercedes-Benz navigation system for free when running the DVD version?
Well, you will find lots of tutorials and videos online which say it’s possible. They claim you will be able to copy the latest DVD disc, then quickly load the new maps and directions into your car.
This is wishful thinking though.
I agree that is it possible to burn a Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD copy, typically using a download or torrent website… but… you probably won’t get it working in your navigation system.
There’s a good reason why…
When you buy a new Mercedes-Benz navigation update you are asked to register it using the company’s online system. To register your copy of the maps, you have to enter in the VIN (vehicle identification number) or your car, plus the device ID of your GPS – all of which are unique.
Without going through this registration process, you won’t be able to activate the maps in your Mercedes navigation system. They DVD or SD simply won’t work.
What instead happens is that after registering the map purchase, you are given a unique code to enter into your Mercedes-Benz GPS system. You cannot start the install process until entering in this unique code.
Do you see the problem here?
Yes, that’s right: if you download a free version of the Mercedes-Benz navigation system update, then burn to a disc, and put in the DVD tray, it won’t be activated so you cannot install the new map database.
Without a unique activation code, it’s impossible.
Each Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD is unique, and the codes can only be used the once so copies you download for free are rendered completely useless.
But this isn’t the only issue you will come across. Downloading free map updates could even damage your Mercedes navigation system, as I explain below.
You could damage your GPS and computer
I think will make you think again before trying to get a free Mercedes-Benz navigation download…
Websites that offer free torrents and copies of the DVD almost always carry viruses and Trojan horse files. That means one you download the zip file and then run it, chances are you are installed a virus onto your computer.
Whilst the allegedly free Mercedes-Benz navigation update you download could in fact be a legitimate copy of an original disc, chances are it could be just a virus file.
Download it at your peril and own risk.
And it’s not just your computer that could be at risk of damage, but also your Mercedes navigation system too!
When you download counterfeit software and put it into your Mercedes, you run the risk of invalidating your warranty.
If you install a pirate copy of the Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD into your vehicle’s GPS system, you could cause untold damage to the base software.
There are countless examples available online of where this has happened. For example, I saw this comment below in a Mercedes Facebook group.
“I decided to download what was advertised as a copy of the Mercedes-Benz navigation system update last year. I unzipped the file, then burned the disc copy to a blank DVD and put it into my C-Class. I booted the system up and the next thing I see is the black screen of death. I could not get the screen to come back on again, and the local Mercedes dealership told me I had corrupted the GPS device due to using a free download copy instead of a legitimate purchase. The whole sorry exercise cost me $500 in getting a repair and then buying the official map update disc instead.”
What can we learn from this?
- If you try and install a downloaded version of the official map updates you won’t be able to install them due to having no unique code.
- You could end up with viruses and Trojan horse programs being installed into your computer or PC.
- You might even possibly end up invalidating the warranty on your Mercedes’ in-dashboard GPS system.
Whilst I love getting a great deal or free stuff as much as the next person, I would not want to take this risk with my own Mercedes.
Bottom line is, you are going to spend time, money, and hassle trying to get a free update when you would have been better off simply buying the new disc.
I really like this video which explains the top line benefits of getting a Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD update; reduced travel times, gas savings, and overall cost benefits.
As you’ve probably guessed by now, I am an advocate of using official Mercedes GPS maps as they are updated every year with any change to the roads and business addresses. The official navigation updates are produced by the HERE company (was Navteq).
These updates optimise your map software with road data including gas stations, places to eat, things to do, but above all, offer you more efficient routes.
More related questions and FAQs
You might still be on the fence about whether this Mercedes-Benz navigation update is worth it. You might still even be considering downloading a hacked or free version of this disc, hoping it will work out for you – it won’t!
If this is the case though, continue reading as I would like to explain even further why the official GPS maps are the only route you should take.
Do you need to update your Mercedes-Benz GPS maps?
If you don’t have the latest maps installed your in-dashboard GPS will still work, but the directions won’t be up to date.
The maps themselves aren’t beamed down from satellites like many people think. The maps are actually installed as software into the GPS, with the satellites simply serving to pinpoint your vehicle’s location on the screen and map.
I have no doubt that as you drive around you probably see new roads appearing quite frequently, highway updates, changes of lane priority, businesses will move, new businesses will appear.
Without a Mercedes-Benz map update, your software won’t have those changes on them, meaning the navigation is like a map with incorrect directions on it – useless in other words.
With the new GPS maps, you can benefit from improved routing accuracy, lower fuels bills as you don’t get lost or go the wrong way and better functionality.
How much do the GPS map updates cost?
How much you pay for your Mercedes-Benz navigation disc will depend on the time of year your purchase, what map coverage you want, and whether there are any promotions or discount codes on offer.
The company that sells the map discs, HERE, does offer promotional periods from time to time so it’s best to visit their website on the links you see on this page to check for any discounts.
Why aren’t Mercedes-Benz map updates free?
Great question, and in an ideal world you would think that Mercedes-Benz would reward their customers with annual upgrades for free. After all, the vehicles cost enough!
Well, the truth is, in some cases they do but it’s all linked to when you got the COMAND maps into your Merc. In recent years, car buyers have been rewarded with annual free updates. But you might be in the unfortunate position of not qualifying.
And did you also know that the map DVDs aren’t actually manufactured by Mercedes. They are made by a third-party supplier called HERE navigation.
They are amongst the best in mapping and every year find every conceivable road and address update globally to make sure their maps as accurate as possible.
That type of service comes with a cost as you can imagine.
Where can I find my Mercedes-Benz navigation activation code?
When your new disc or SD card arrives in the post, don’t discard the packaging until you have removed and kept the activation code.
You need this special software license key to install new maps, and it will be printed on a small packaging slip in the box.
In addition to the printed version, you will also be emailed an activation code when you buy from the official online store.
How often are new map updates released?
The HERE navigation company (formerly known as Navteq) release new Mercedes maps on an annual basis. This release date is typically towards the end of a calendar year, when it will be promoted as the official release for the following year.
The release date has tended to shift around a little over the last 5 years, but in many cases will be around November time.
Can I use my map update disc in a different vehicle?
In most cases, no.
When you buy your new map update disc it will be unique to your vehicle’s in-dashboard navigation system.
What makes this DVD upgrade better than using a smartphone navigation?
This topic has become more and more popular in recent years with the advent of reliable smartphone navigation from companies such as Google and Apple.
Let’s cut to the chase.
Smartphone navigation appear to be cheaper on the face of it. After all, you have the maps on your phone, and they will update regularly providing you have access to an Internet connection to download them.
However, you can incur larger mobile data roaming costs when using a smartphone, and you could soon eat through your network’s data allowance if you rely on Apple or Google maps.
You won’t have that issue with an in-built navigation system. You pay once a year, and that’s it.
Also, if you drive into an area where cell phone reception is poor, you could lose your navigation and end up getting lost before you get the coverage back again. You also have a potential battery issue with your phone – what if it dies at the most inconvenient moment?
I don’t like these risks.
If you rely on your Mercedes’ navigation system for long journeys or for business, choose a map update over smartphone navigation every time.
It’s an investment you won’t regret.
How to reset the Mercedes-Benz navigation system
Have you ever had to reset your Mercedes-Benz navigation system? It’s not that uncommon as they can be unstable sometimes, with frozen screens and stuck directions. It’s a software bug mainly and is usually fixed when you install or download new map updates.
You might also want to reset the system if you have inserted an older DVD version into your disc drive. This can cause problems as the GPS navigation cannot install older maps over new ones. When this happens, you get a blank blue screen on the display.
A hard reset will uninstall all the maps currently loaded. You can then reboot the system and install the latest maps fresh – that should resolve any software problems.
Here’s how to reset and fix it.
- Access the diagnostics screen by pressing and then holding the MENU, CANCEL, and SETUP buttons all in one go for around 5 seconds.
- A new screen will appear, where you now need to select the VERSION tab.
- Next press the DOWNLOAD button which will then start to download the maps from the disc currently in the DVD drive.
- Wait for the maps to load into the navigation system. Once that has happened, the system will then boot-up into the diagnostics screen again.
- Now hold down the button that says MAP/GUIDE on it for between 5 and 10 seconds.
- A new screen will come up that says COMPLETE on it. Press that button and then the RETURN button – this will then reboot and reset the system.
- Now turn your ignition off and then re-start your vehicle to check the system is all working correctly as it should.
Now not all Mercedes-Benz models will be the same. Some versions of the A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, CLA, CLS, E-Class, G-Class, GLA, GLB, GLC, GLE, GLS, S-Class, SL, SLC, or V-Class, or AMG GT will have a slightly different menu and button configuration.
For example, to reset the navigation system on a 2005 Mercedes-Benz C-Class, the buttons you press in step one would instead be; MENU, MAP/GUIDE, and CANCEL. Do that, and instead of seeing a DOWNLOAD button you will see a menu item called DISC LOAD.
If this is what you see, take these steps instead to reset and fix it:
- Press down the MENU+MAP / GUIDE+CANCEL buttons. Do this for around 5 seconds.
- A new screen will appear showing SELECT DIAGNOSIS ITEMS.
- On this new screen hold down the MAP/GUIDE menu item for between 5 and 10 seconds.
- A new screen will now appear, and you will see a button titled COMPLETE.
- Press the COMPLETE menu item, then press the RETURN button.
- The navigation system will now reboot and reset.
- Switch your engine off then re-start your vehicle to check the GPS system is now working correctly.
Where is the navigation DVD tray in a Mercedes-Benz?
The quick answer; not always in the same place! It will be different depending on which Mercedes-Benz model you own.
There are typically three common places where the disc unit is kept in the Mercedes range;
- In the dashboard (the most obvious place)
- In the glove compartment (you might not even have noticed it before)
- Under the driver’s seat (not many people think to look here)
Mercedes-Benz changed the position of the disc unit down the years, so look in those three places first. If in doubt, consult your owner’s manual.
How to copy a Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD
As you will already have read, I don’t advocate making pirate copies of the Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD or downloading free versions from torrent websites.
However, there still might be a case where you do want to make a copy of a Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD.
Why would you do this though?
Well, primarily because I believe it’s always a great idea to have a back-up copy of any important software you have. I do this with all by DVD based software purchases, just in case I should lose an original disc.
I do recommend making a back-up copy, just in case your original disc gets damaged, stolen or lost. After all, map updates can be expensive, so you don’t want to end up paying twice for what is rightfully yours.
This is how you do it, but first up, what you will need to make DVD copies.
You will need:
- You will need to have a computer that has a DVD re-writer drive, or an external DVD writer that you can plugin into your PC. It will need to be able to not just burn discs, but also read discs.
- In addition to the obvious DVD re-writer, you will also need some free DVD reading and decrypting software. I personally love DVD Decrypter – it’s a great piece of software.
- You will also need software to actual burn a copy of the disc. For this I recommend software called ImgBurn. It’s free to download and works very well.
- Some blank DVDs! But, don’t use standard DVD-Rs. They don’t have the storage capacity to take the map data that comes on the Mercedes-Benz disc. It will need to be a dual layer disc that can hold at least 8.5GB of data.
Copying the original disc
Now you’ve got all the right gear and software, you will need to make a copy. Here’s how you do it.
- Insert the original Mercedes-Benz DVD into the disc drive of your re-writer.
- Launch the DVD Decrypter software, selecting MODE menu, ISO, and READ.
- Select a folder where you will be saving the back-up image.
- Now select the PLAY button on the software (it’s green). This will start to save a copy of the disc to your PC.
- You will now have 2 files saved onto your PC. There will be one ending in .ISO which is a large file size, and a smaller file size ending in .MDS. Don’t delete them!
Burning a new disc copy
You can now make a copy of the Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD onto a new disc. Take the original out of your disc drive, and put a blank dual layer disc in to the re-writer, then do this:
- Take a new black DVD and put into the re-writer’s drive.
- Launch the ImgBurn software and choose WRITE IMAGE TO DISC.
- Choose which disc drive you will be writing to if your PC has more than one.
- Press the icon that looks like a book.
- Click the CHANGE FOR option and select the disc you are copying to.
- Now select the yellow folder and choose the .ISO file we copied earlier.
- Then do the same with the .MDS file.
- Make sure the burning is set to the 1x speed.
- Click the ISO TO DISC icon to start the copying and burning.
And that’s how you copy an Mercedes-Benz navigation DVD.
When you buy the new Mercedes-Benz navigation update it will be from HERE. They used to be called Navteq and are the only company in the world where you can get an official GPS upgrade.
You might see some pirate discs on eBay, or download websites, or forums, but HERE is the place you need to buy from in order to validate and register your purchase to get the maps working.
HERE (formerly known as Navteq) started in 1985 and employ more than 8,000 people around the world. Over the last 30 years they have built a deserved reputation as the leading supplier of digital GPS maps for the automotive industry.