The new 2022 Acura navigation update is out now. I have got links below which take you through to the lowest possible prices and best deal on official GPS maps. To see the latest prices, click the link here for cheap prices on the Acura navigation DVD disc with new map upgrades on Green, Purple, Brown DVDs and more!
Is the Acura navigation update worth it?
The bottom line is this; have you used your navigation recently only to discover that where you want to go isn’t in the existing database, or you’ve become lost due to address or road changes?
If yes, you’ve lost time, fuel money, and probably a whole load of patience. You might have even missed an essential appointment, or not even got to where you needed to go completely.
Here are some of the best reasons to update your Acura navigation system with the latest software disc of GPS map updates:
- Drive the most fuel-efficient routes, saving money on gas with up to date directions.
- Be able to locate millions of points of interest including gas stations, shopping, medical services, parking, restaurants, and accommodation.
- Get to your destination on time with improved routing and time planning.
- Reduce your carbon footprint as you drive less miles with up to date directions.
- Avoid traffic jams with clever navigation taking you a better route.
- Have the peace of mind you won’t end up getting lost and stuck in places you don’t want to be.
What’s included with the new release?
The new release of the official Acura navigation system update includes the following GPS map updates to the software’s database:
- 5 million more miles of roads and highways.
- 676,483 new street and road names added or updated.
- 307,684 new speed limits and restrictions updated.
- Millions of addresses updated including points of interest files.
The new maps will either arrive as a DVD disc, an SD card, or USB stick depending on how your Acura’s system is set-up.
Models and years available
In-dashboard navigation first appeared in the Acura RL in the year 2000. Since then, almost every model has had an option to choose an in-built GPS package including:
- RLX Sport Hybrid
It’s possible to get map updates for all models listed above through years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
The DVD colors that you can update on include:
- 2022 green DVD map update
- 2022 purple DVD ap update v4 10.10.i0
- 2022 brown DVD map update v2
- 2022 brown DVD map update v3b
- And more…
Acura navigation promotion codes
Occasionally it will be possible to use a discount or coupon code when buying your new maps online. Promotion codes aren’t released very often, so it’s worth clicking the links in this guide, as occasionally they will be published on the official map upgrade website.
If you can find a valid promo code, it’s simple enough to use – click to check for valid promotions.
Just copy and paste it, and then at the checkout phase look the box that’s titled “promotional code”. Paste your coupon in there, click “apply”, and if valid a percentage discount will be applied to your final price.
How to update Acura navigation system
Updating your GPS maps is simple, but it won’t be free. Further down this page I explain why it’s not possible to get an Acura navigation system update for free, and how you risk your Acura warranty and computer security if you attempt to download a free copy.
You will need to purchase an official GPS map disc first, and here’s how you do it.
- Visit the Acura navigation store to check for the latest deals.
- Select your Acura model from the page.
- Choose the year your vehicle was manufactured.
- Check for stock availability and click the add to cart button.
- Complete the checkout process and wait for your new disc to arrive.
- Turn your vehicle’s engine on.
- Eject your old Acura navigation disc and insert the new DVD.
- Follow the on-screen prompts, entering in your unique code when prompted.
- Allow for up to 25 minutes for the new maps to install.
- Don’t switch your ignition and navigation system off until the success screen.
How to update Acura MDX navigation system
The MDX has become one of the most popular selling Acura’s of the last decade. You can get maps updates for all models from 2001 onwards.
As such, Acura MDX navigation updates are amongst the most frequently purchased.
To find out how to update your Acura MDX navigation system, refer to the previous section as it’s the same for each and every model and year.
How to update Acura MDX navigation system for free
The best things in life are free, right?
OK, so that’s not always the case, and that’s particularly relevant when it comes to navigation updates and the discs.
Let me tell you why.
You will find a vast range of forum posts and YouTube videos that claim to be able to give you the secret to copying the latest DVD, giving you free maps and directions.
Whilst yes, you can burn the Acura navigation DVD to a new disc, making yourself a copy from a downloadable torrent file, it’s very unlikely you will be able to get it to work in your own GPS system.
The reason being?
Every person who buys the latest Acura MDX navigation update needs to then register it online. The process involves submitting your VIN (vehicle identification number) and GPS device ID.
If you don’t register it like this, you cannot activate it in your vehicle.
Once registered, the official website gives you a unique passcode to punch into your MDX GPS system, which then starts the install and update process.
So, let’s just say you managed to download a free version of the Acura navigation system update, spend the time burning it to a blank DVD disc, and then putting it into your car, you won’t be able to activate it and start installing the maps.
Without a unique activation code, it’s impossible.
Each DVD is unique, and the codes can only be used the once. You can read more about this here.
But that’s just the first problem you will encounter. Skip to the next question to see even more reasons to not use a free download.
How to update Acura RDX navigation system for free
Just like the MDX disc, the RDX one is still locked down into only installing if you have a unique registration code.
There are other reasons why you should also avoid trying to do this though, and I think this will definitely make you think twice.
The download and torrent websites that offer free downloads are packed full of viruses, scams, and Trojan horse files.
You don’t actually know what it is you are downloading and are doing it on good faith because you are desperate to save money.
The free torrent websites know this and take advantage of your desperation.
Whilst the allegedly free Acura RDX navigation update you download could in fact be a legitimate copy of an original disc, chances are it could be just a virus file.
Download it at your peril and own risk.
But it’s not just your computer that could be harmed if you download counterfeit software. You could also be putting your vehicle’s warranty at risk, which I will explain in the next point.
How to update Acura TL navigation system for free
By now I hope I’ve given you enough concerns about how trying to update an Acura TL navigation system for free, or MDX, RDX, and other models is futile.
- You won’t be able to install the new maps without a unique code tied into your vehicle identification number and DVD purchase.
- You could end up with viruses on your computer if you download a copy of the navigation update for free from a torrent download website.
But there’s one last thing I need to bring to your attention.
If you install a pirate copy of the Acura navigation DVD into your vehicle’s GPS system, you could cause untold damage to the base software.
Whilst I have not seen any physical proof of this happening, let me share a story with you that I read on a forum. Here’s a real users’ comments:
“I downloaded what I thought was a genuine copy of the Acura navigation system update disc, burned to DVD, and put it into my MDX’s disc tray. The next thing I know is that the screen was showing all sorts of strange foreign characters, so I drove to my local Acura dealer. He told me I had corrupted my GPS, and because I had used a free download and counterfeit disc copy, my system was no longer under warranty. I ended up shelling out more than $400 dollars in repair costs and a legitimate map update.”
The moral of this story is this:
- If you try and install a downloaded version of the official map updates you won’t be able to install them due to having no unique code.
- You could end up with viruses and Trojan horse programs being installed into your computer or PC.
- You might even possibly end up invalidating the warranty on your Acura’s in-dashboard GPS system.
To conclude, I do not advocate at all trying to get a pirate copy. It won’t work, and you could end up spending more time and money on finding a free solution than it would have cost to simply buy the new disc in the first place.
This video explains exactly what you will get and how it can cut down on travel times, save you fuel, and reduce your costs.
The official maps keep track of the continuous evolution of road networks. Using the latest technology to keep track of changes, HERE are continually collecting data from around the globe to create the latest map updates.
These updates optimise your map software with road data including gas stations, places to eat, things to do, but above all, offer you more efficient routes.
More related questions and FAQs
If you are still undecided about whether the Acura navigation update is worth it or are considering trying to find a free or hacked download that will work (it won’t!) then read on for some more information which should convince that official GPS maps are the only way ahead. It also includes tips on how to reset your system, where to find the disc tray to load the new DVD in, and more helpful information.
Do you need to update your Acura GPS maps?
If you don’t have the latest maps installed your in-dashboard GPS will still work, but the directions won’t be up to date.
The maps themselves aren’t beamed down from satellites like many people think. The maps are actually installed as software into the GPS, with the satellites simply serving to pinpoint your vehicle’s location on the screen and map.
I have no doubt that as you drive around you probably see new roads appearing quite frequently, highway updates, changes of lane priority, businesses will move, new businesses will appear.
Without an Acura map update, your software won’t have those changes on them, meaning the navigation is like a map with incorrect directions on it – useless in other words.
With the new GPS maps, you can benefit from improved routing accuracy, lower fuels bills as you don’t get lost or go the wrong way and better functionality.
How much do the GPS map updates cost?
How much you pay for your Acura navigation disc will depend on the time of year your purchase, what map coverage you want, and whether there are any promotions or discount codes on offer.
The company that sells the map discs, HERE, does offer promotional periods from time to time so it’s best to visit their website on the links you see on this page to check for any discounts.
Why aren’t Acura map updates free?
Great question, and in an ideal world you would think that Acura would reward their customers with annual upgrades for free. After all, the vehicles cost enough!
However, the maps aren’t made by Acura. They are made by a third-party supplier called HERE navigation.
They are amongst the best in mapping and every year find every conceivable road and address update globally to make sure their maps as accurate as possible.
That type of service comes with a cost as you can imagine.
Where can I find my Acura navigation activation code?
When your new disc arrives in the post, don’t discard the packaging until you have removed and kept the activation code.
You need this special software license key to install new maps, and it will be printed on a small packaging slip in the box.
In addition to the printed version, you will also be emailed an activation code when you buy from the official online store.
How often are new map updates released?
The HERE navigation company (formerly known as Navteq) release new Acura maps on an annual basis. This release date is typically towards the end of a calendar year, when it will be promoted as the official release for the following year.
The release date has tended to shift around a little over the last 5 years, but in many cases will be around November time.
Can I use my map update disc in a different vehicle?
In most cases, no.
When you buy your new map update disc it will be unique to your vehicle’s in-dashboard navigation system.
What makes this DVD upgrade better than using a smartphone navigation?
This topic has become more and more popular in recent years with the advent of reliable smartphone navigation from companies such as Google and Apple.
Let’s cut the chase.
Smartphone navigation appear to be cheaper on the face of it. After all, you have the maps on your phone, and they will update regularly providing you have access to an Internet connection to download them.
However, you can incur larger mobile data roaming costs when using a smartphone, and you could soon eat through your network’s data allowance if you rely on Apple or Google maps.
You won’t have that issue with an in-built navigation system. You pay once a year, and that’s it.
Also, if you drive into an area where cell phone reception is poor, you could lose your navigation and end up getting lost before you get the coverage back again. You also have a potential battery issue with your phone – what if it dies at the most inconvenient moment?
I don’t like these risks.
If you rely on your Acura’s navigation system for long journeys or for business, choose a map update over smartphone navigation every time.
It’s an investment you won’t regret.
How to reset Acura navigation system
Occasionally you will need to reset your Acura navigation system. They can freeze up, especially with older versions of the software. It’s not so common now, but it was a complaint with models from 2001 to 2007.
Another reason you might want to reset the system is if you have accidentally mixed your discs up and put an older version of the DVD in the disc tray than the map updates you last installed.
This will cause confusion to your GPS, as it will try to install old updates over new ones, and it really won’t like it – and I talk from experience. I had the GPS equivalent of the blue screen of death.
A hard reset will uninstall all the maps currently loaded. You can then reboot the system and install the latest maps fresh – that should resolve any software problems.
Here’s how to reset and fix it.
- Access the diagnostics screen by pressing and then holding the MENU, CANCEL, and SETUP buttons all in one go for around 5 seconds.
- A new screen will appear, where you now need to select the VERSION tab.
- Next press the DOWNLOAD button which will then start to download the maps from the disc currently in the DVD drive.
- Wait for the maps to load into the navigation system. Once that has happened, the system will then boot-up into the diagnostics screen again.
- Now hold down the button that says MAP/GUIDE on it for between 5 and 10 seconds.
- A new screen will come up that says COMPLETE on it. Press that button and then the RETURN button – this will then reboot and reset the system.
- Now turn your ignition off and then re-start your vehicle to check the system is all working correctly as it should.
Now not all Acura models will be the same. Some versions of the CL, IL, ILX, MDX, NSX, RL, RDX, RLX, RLX Sport Hybrid, TL, TLX, TSX, or ZDX will have a slightly different menu and button configuration.
For example, to reset the navigation system on a 2005 Acura MDX, the buttons you press in step one would instead be; MENU, MAP/GUIDE, and CANCEL. Do that, and instead of seeing a DOWNLOAD button you will see a menu item called DISC LOAD.
If this is what you see, take these steps instead to reset and fix it:
- Press down the MENU+MAP / GUIDE+CANCEL buttons. Do this for around 5 seconds.
- A new screen will appear showing SELECT DIAGNOSIS ITEMS.
- On this new screen hold down the MAP/GUIDE menu item for between 5 and 10 seconds.
- A new screen will now appear, and you will see a button titled COMPLETE.
- Press the COMPLETE menu item, then press the RETURN button.
- The navigation system will now reboot and reset.
- Switch your engine off then re-start your vehicle to check the GPS system is now working correctly.
Where is the navigation DVD in an Acura MDX?
Something that I hear so often is the frustration people have in not actually knowing where the disc slot is in their MDX.
And there’s no right or wrong answer to this one, as it can differ from model to model.
There are typically three common places where the disc unit is kept in the Acura range;
- In the dashboard (the most obvious place)
- In the glove compartment (you might not even have noticed it before)
- Under the driver’s seat (not many people think to look here)
Acura changed the position of the disc unit down the years, so look in those three places first. If in doubt, consult your owner’s manual.
How to copy an Acura navigation DVD
As you will already have read, I don’t advocate making pirate copies of the Acura navigation DVD or downloading free versions from torrent websites.
However, there still might be a case where you do want to make a copy of an Acura navigation DVD.
Why would you do this though?
Well, primarily because I believe it’s always a great idea to have a back-up copy of any important software you have. I do this with all by DVD based software purchases, just in case I should lose an original disc.
I do recommend making a back-up copy, just in case your original disc gets damaged, stolen or lost. After all, map updates can be expensive, so you don’t want to end up paying twice for what is rightfully yours.
This is how you do it, but first up, what you will need to make DVD copies.
You will need:
- You will need to have a computer that has a DVD re-writer drive, or an external DVD writer that you can plugin into your PC. It will need to be able to not just burn discs, but also read discs.
- In addition to the obvious DVD re-writer, you will also need some free DVD reading and decrypting software. I personally love DVD Decrypter – it’s a great piece of software.
- You will also need software to actual burn a copy of the disc. For this I recommend software called ImgBurn. It’s free to download and works very well.
- Some blank DVDs! But, don’t use standard DVD-Rs. They don’t have the storage capacity to take the map data that comes on the Acura disc. It will need to be a dual layer disc that can hold at least 8.5GB of data.
Copying the original disc
Now you’ve got all the right gear and software, you will need to make a copy. Here’s how you do it.
- Insert the original Acura DVD into the disc drive of your re-writer.
- Launch the DVD Decrypter software, selecting MODE menu, ISO, and READ.
- Select a folder where you will be saving the back-up image.
- Now select the PLAY button on the software (it’s green). This will start to save a copy of the disc to your PC.
- You will now have 2 files saved onto your PC. There will be one ending in .ISO which is a large file size, and a smaller file size ending in .MDS. Don’t delete them!
Burning a new disc copy
You can now make a copy of the Acura navigation DVD onto a new disc. Take the original out of your disc drive, and put a blank dual layer disc in to the re-writer, then do this:
- Take a new black DVD and put into the re-writer’s drive.
- Launch the ImgBurn software and choose WRITE IMAGE TO DISC.
- Choose which disc drive you will be writing to if your PC has more than one.
- Press the icon that looks like a book.
- Click the CHANGE FOR option and select the disc you are copying to.
- Now select the yellow folder and choose the .ISO file we copied earlier.
- Then do the same with the .MDS file.
- Make sure the burning is set to the 1x speed.
- Click the ISO TO DISC icon to start the copying and burning.
And that’s how you copy an Acura navigation DVD.
When you buy the new Acura navigation update it will be from HERE. They used to be called Navteq and are the only company in the world where you can get an official GPS upgrade.
You might see some knock-offs on eBay, or download websites, or forums, but HERE is the place you need to buy from in order to validate and register your purchase to get the maps working.
HERE (formerly known as Navteq) started in 1985 and employ more than 8,000 people around the world. Over the last 30 years they have built a deserved reputation as the leading supplier of digital GPS maps for the automotive industry.